Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lucat bene.....

My dad was the big Pig Latin devotee. He taught my mom; and they used it effectively to discuss things that were better left unknown to the three little nippers in the house.

One evening at the supper table he asked Mom:

..."Ooday ooyay antway ootay ogay ootay Ooklidyay Eachbay?"
 

We nippers screamed in unison:  "Yay!! We're going to Euclid_Beach".

Pop knew better than to try to have a coded conversation after that.  He may have wondered how long we'd been literate and adept in this exotic language.

We all went on to study classical Latin (Caesar and the Helvetians, etc.)  in high school, after learning ecclesiastical Latin ( Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam... and Suscipiat...etc.) at St Colman Parish School.

Which brings me to one of the most famous Latin rhyming couplets, over which Latin scholars have struggled for decades, centuries, millennia...

Lucat bene derdego
honnet busis inero
Honomo demis trux
summit causin, summit dux

Can you translate?

Extra points if you can do a double translation. Latin to English to Pig.

2 comments:

World Of Warcraft Gold said...

He may properly have wondered how extended we'd been literate and adept on this exotic language
When you have nothing to do or unhappy? What should you do to spend the free time? How about the game? like to get WOW Gold in WOW, and how to have theCheap Gold for WOWwith less money, is there anyway to get the for us? We need to think about this.

busana muslim said...

Thank you for sharing this information to us... Keep coming

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Of the biblical allotment of three score and ten I have lived only three of them more than a bicycle ride from one of the Great Lakes. I grew up ten blocks from Lake Erie in the (once Irish/Italian ghetto, now newly-hip) "Near West Side" of Cleveland. I can still cycle to the Milwaukee lakefront in an hour and a half; but, a round-trip has always been more than I would (noror ever did) attempt. -0- I'm a "...somewhat combative pacifist and fairly cooperative anarchist," after the example of Grace Paley (1922-2007). -0- I'm always cheerful when I pay my taxes (having refused--when necessary--to pay that portion of them dedicated to war). -0- And I always, always vote.