Iraqis are observing a three-day mourning period following the death of Shi’ite Muslim leader Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim, as his body travels through important Shi’ite cities on its way to burial in Najaf. This has not stopped the violence however. At least eight Iraqis were killed and 45 more were injured in the latest attacks.
A string of bombings vexed Baghdad today and in the overnight hours. A pair of sticky bombs wounded 12 civilians in the Adhamiya district. Two policemen and two civilians were wounded during a blast on Beirut Square. Another bomb wounded two policemen and two civilians in New Baghdad. Last night, a bomb in New Baghdad injured three people, including two civilians, while a bomb in Mansour wounded two more. A third bomb, in Ghazaliya, left no casualties but destroyed a U.S. vehicle.
One civilian was killed and six were wounded when a car bomb exploded near a U.S. base in Taji.
In Mosul, three Iraqi soldiers were killed and seven more were wounded during an attack on their checkpoint. A bomb killed a policeman and wounded another. A separate blast killed a civilian and wounded two soldiers. Police detained two men and defused the car bomb they were driving. Two gunmen were arrested as well.
A Kirkuk policeman was killed and another was wounded in a drive-by shooting. A roadside bomb wounded two civilians. MNF forces killed one man and wounded another who were apparently planting a bomb.
The 1920s Revolution Brigades announced they will escalate violence during the Ramadan observance.
- ► 2012 (15)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (31)
- Getting sick of this? I am.
- Thursday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 45 Wounded....
- Wednesday: 7 Iraqis Killed, 13 Wounded....
- Tuesday: 6 Iraquis Killed, 22 Wounded...
- The stuff you hear on Sunday morning yap shows...
- Monday: at least 15 Iraqis were killed and 21 were...
- Sunday: 1 US Soldier, 8 Iraqis Killed; 17 Iraqis W...
- Summer interns at the NYT Editorial Pages
- Rethinking my trip to the west of Ireland...
- The failures of Children's Service Society are the...
- Vaya con dios...
- ▼ August 2009 (11)
- ► 2008 (50)
- Jim Bouman
- Of the biblical allotment of three score and ten I have lived only three of them more than a bicycle ride from one of the Great Lakes. I grew up ten blocks from Lake Erie in the (once Irish/Italian ghetto, now newly-hip) "Near West Side" of Cleveland. I can still cycle to the Milwaukee lakefront in an hour and a half; but, a round-trip has always been more than I would (noror ever did) attempt. -0- I'm a "...somewhat combative pacifist and fairly cooperative anarchist," after the example of Grace Paley (1922-2007). -0- I'm always cheerful when I pay my taxes (having refused--when necessary--to pay that portion of them dedicated to war). -0- And I always, always vote.