Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Giant Puffball. Is there a consulting mycologist out there?
Dave Wagner--"Wags"--moved off to Arizona decades back. He was my authoritative source for mushroom advice. It was "eat" or "don't eat". Never a hint of equivocation.
This is the 44 Oz, Slurpee of mushrooms. Found it on the edge of an old railroad right-of-way this morning. Took a bit of bushwhacking to get to it, as it was down a slippery slope covered with thorny brush in a thicket that allowed for no sunlight. There it was, glowing like last night's waxing gibbous moon.
I think it is safe. Wonder whether it'll be tasty as a pot of mushroom soup.
UPDATE: Consensus mycologist/gourmand opinion is that bigger is seldom better. Edible is not equal to tasty. It might or might not improve the compost pile. We shall see.
- ► 2012 (15)
- ► 2011 (25)
- There's this one thing that never works with me......
- Badgers Win big (embarrassingly BIG) against CYO t...
- Grandpa, now that I'm a year old (almost) and walk...
- I like my credit union, have liked it (them) since...
- The Waukesha Council needs to think long and hard ...
- Giant Puffball. Is there a consulting mycologist ...
- It is an odyssey only if it ends with return to th...
- The Reverend Lucius Walker, Jr. died this morning ...
- Waukesha Freeman is a running joke; the editor's w...
- ▼ September 2010 (10)
- ► 2009 (58)
- ► 2008 (50)
- Jim Bouman
- Of the biblical allotment of three score and ten I have lived only three of them more than a bicycle ride from one of the Great Lakes. I grew up ten blocks from Lake Erie in the (once Irish/Italian ghetto, now newly-hip) "Near West Side" of Cleveland. I can still cycle to the Milwaukee lakefront in an hour and a half; but, a round-trip has always been more than I would (noror ever did) attempt. -0- I'm a "...somewhat combative pacifist and fairly cooperative anarchist," after the example of Grace Paley (1922-2007). -0- I'm always cheerful when I pay my taxes (having refused--when necessary--to pay that portion of them dedicated to war). -0- And I always, always vote.