Atul Gawande, MD is a surgeon, an experienced hand in presidential policy making and program implementation, a New Yorker magazine staff writer, an utterly engaging public speaker, persuasive as all get-out, a pragmatist, on and on.
He looks like he could have got his start in Bollywood, though he's a native of Athens, Ohio.
I don't know whether he's been approached about a health administration position in the Obama government. If not, he should be, particularly since Sanjay Gupta is rumored to be backing away from a possible appointment to the position of Surgeon General.
Here's his website, starting with the biography page. Next thing to click is articles.
I recommend his most recent New Yorker article, then the ones on "Checklists" and "Piecework".
- ► 2012 (15)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (31)
- I read a real estate soothsayer today: "Housing M...
- Strange stuff from Wis DOT....
- ...this paean to the inherent nobility of the comm...
- Soda Bread
- Journal Company in the tank...
- From the Diplomatic pouch...direct to the Presiden...
- Atul Gawande for Surgeon General, Health Czar, som...
- Backwards and forward
- This is the week, in small towns, when farmers sit...
- When I am elected president, I will...
- NY Times front page typo with an extra twist...
- The proposed Pabst Farms interchange will be a hug...
- ▼ March 2009 (12)
- ► 2008 (50)
- Jim Bouman
- Of the biblical allotment of three score and ten I have lived only three of them more than a bicycle ride from one of the Great Lakes. I grew up ten blocks from Lake Erie in the (once Irish/Italian ghetto, now newly-hip) "Near West Side" of Cleveland. I can still cycle to the Milwaukee lakefront in an hour and a half; but, a round-trip has always been more than I would (noror ever did) attempt. -0- I'm a "...somewhat combative pacifist and fairly cooperative anarchist," after the example of Grace Paley (1922-2007). -0- I'm always cheerful when I pay my taxes (having refused--when necessary--to pay that portion of them dedicated to war). -0- And I always, always vote.